Split Lentl Soup with Vegetables
Now I thought it is time to share with you my warm comforting split lentil soup. There is nothing soothing in Ramadan than sipping a steaming bowl of a hearty lentil soup made correctly. Split lentil soup (shorbit adas asfar) a classic Middle Eastern delicacy that varies from one country to another and even from one home to another.
This recipe is an old family treasure and a staple at our house! Over the years, I have tested loads of split lentil soup recipes, but this remained our favorite. The recipe could not be easier. Just sauté the onions, vegetables, cumin powder and lentils in olive oil, cover with water and simmer for 25-30 minutes; blend and finish the soup by adding a drizzle of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice. The cumin powder is the key ingredient to balance the flavor. The soup will definitely brighten your Ramadan table. I will leave you with this fantastic soup, and I hope everyone of you is having a healthy and a blessed Ramadan! And to all the dads in the world happy father's day!
- 1 cup split lentils (red lentils)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 medium-sized carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 3 medium-sized onions, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 51/2 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon, optional, or vegetable bouillon for a vegan version
- Salt to taste
- 1 celery stem, diced, optional
- Spread the lentils on a counter top and remove any pebbles that might be mixed with the lentils.
- In a large saucepan, add the olive oil and onions and sauté on medium to high heat until the onions start changing color.
- Add the carrots, celery stem and potatoes and stir for a minute. Add the split lentils and stir for another minute. Add water, cumin and celery.
- Once the mixture starts boiling, reduce the temperature, cover up and let it simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Blend the mix using an electric blender.
- Resume cooking on low heat for 5 minutes. If the soup is too thick, add some more water .
- Add some lemon juice and olive oil upon serving, optional!
You might also enjoy our SOUR LENTIL SOUP(ADAS BHAMOD)
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to subscibe to our newsletter so you never miss a single recipe.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please don't use photos without prior written permission.