Labneh / Lebanese Cream Cheese
I grew up eating labneh - a staple breakfast in every Lebanese home and one of my favorite foods ever! The process of making labneh is easier than you might imagine. Season plain yogurt with some salt and strain for 12 hours, or if you want your labneh thick, strain for 24 hours. A versatile dip that can served as a sandwich spread or a dip, served with Arabic bread or even with crackers! The most common way to eat it in the Middle East is scooped up with a piece of Arabic bread or even as a wrap (slather a few tablespoons on Arabic bread or pita bread, add tomato wedges, olives, mint leaves and drizzle some olive oil, wrap it up and serve immediately). If you have never made your own batch, look how easy to make it at home! There are innumerable ways to serve labneh. Just use your imagination and you will find lots of ways to enjoy this delicately tangy dip! Enjoy!
If you are following a low carb diet, enjoy the labneh with cucumber sticks
Use a high quality olive oil
Scoop up with a piece of Arabic or pita bread
Or slather a few tablespoons of labneh on Arabic or pita bread; add tomato wedges, olives, mint leaves and drizzle some olive oil
Wrap them up and serve with a cup of tea. Heavenly delicious
Or serve with Zalabia. A match made in heaven!
Or serve them with pita croutons for a light breakfast or even a party appetizer. Add some dried mint for a more refreshing taste!
Or part of a mezze
Or serve them as miniature canapés to be part of a buffet entartaining
- 3 cups whole yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mix the yogurt with the salt.
- Place a large strainer over a deep bowl, cover the strainer with a cheesecloth or muslin or even with a clean kitchen towel
- Pour the mixed yogurt into the cheesecloth.
- Bring up the sides completely overlapping and covering the yogurt; the excess liquid will start dripping into the bowl placed beneath the strainer. Refrigerate.
- Allow to drip for 15- 24 hours.
- Get the cheese out (at this stage it should be thick) pour into a container and store in the refrigerator.
- Pour onto a serving plate, add olive oil. Serve with pita bread or as served in the pictures above. Happy eating!
Check too our Black Olive and Labneh Cake
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to subscibe to our newsletter so you never miss a single recipe.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please don't use photos without prior written permission.